View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2015, 23:23 (Ref:3597188)   #171
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Bernie still seems to be sticking to his independent engine theory:

"I think the majority of our audience isn't interested in what engines we run. They don't care about our highly complex technology either. They want exciting and entertaining races and lots of different winners. And this is what F1 has to deliver."

Certainly the audience wants exciting racing, but they are also attracted by the fact that F1 is (supposedly) the peak of motor racing in terms of speed, technology and degree of difficulty. Let's face it what Bernie is advocating is just another spec. series. Even when they provide close racing, multiple winners and even a bit of wheel to wheel mayhem no spec series has survived long term as a truly INTERNATIONAL high profile form of racing.

"With the engine of an alternative supplier we want to boost the competition and we want to make F1 more competitive throughout the field."

No arguments here!
Be careful what you wish for.

What Bernie is saying is that he wants the alternative supplier to be dominant to bring back the DFV days when he was able to play the small garageist individual teams off against each other to gain and maintain his control.

Yes F1 is under threat, but that threat comes from it's management structures inability to deal with "disruption caused by technology" and their unwillingness to cede power.
F1 has done a great technical job within the artificial limits set by my fellow geriatrics, but this has been talked down by Bernie, Max et al in their greedy and ego driven efforts to maintain control.
Casper, you are right in that the threat to F1 becoming irrelevant with the development of electric vehicles is very real. I differ in that I think there could be a medium/long term part of the market supplied by ever more efficient hybrids.