View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2016, 02:06 (Ref:3678803)   #64
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
They don't anymore, you have to buy MotorTrend's "On Demand" service or find someone who uploads the race unofficially. Apparently they decided that the series wasn't hard enough to watch on their terrible streaming site or (usually greatly) delayed uploads to YouTube, so they went and dumped it behind a paywall because that is sure to gain them more fans.

There is a clip of the last few laps that someone uploaded though, if you just want to see the contact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1XkUN7K7Q

It was a bit of a touring car move from O'Connell, and I'm not saying he should have done it but he's not paid to care about the championship races of other people and the door was kinda open still. Long had a gap to Parente too so he didn't really have to press the issue, and unfortunately it didn't look like he made it ahead enough to move in front to close the door. I get the feeling that O'Connell probably thought Long would go for the cautious route and leave a lane on the inside in case, and likewise that Long probably didn't think Johnny would be too aggressive with him since he was fighting for the championship.

I'd put the blame more on O'Connell of course, and obviously it's easy to say with hindsight but it was a bit unnecessary for both of them. With the way people love to hate GM I can't help but feel if the roles were reversed it would be met with laughs instead.

Seems kinda N24-esque to me, one car sticks it up the inside to the surprise of the other when a small door is left open, contact is made and bumps the car on the outside wide. Shame that it had championship implications this time.

I like Pat Long but maybe all the negative karma that other Porsche factory guys earned by crashing into other people this season fell on him for this race?
Thanks for posting this. The contract was less dramatic than I was expecting having read the thread, but would be super interested to see onboard from both cars. Whoever was at fault, it isn't the ideal way to end the season.