View Single Post
Old 30 May 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3737353)   #102
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There is now way you can compare Stroll to Diniz and yes because Stroll actually won a junior title. Maybe you can compare him to Klien, a talented driver thrown in at the deep end before he was ready. Problem is, if Max can make the jump, people will think why not others? At least Williams are now justified in bringing Felipe back
Max was helped by two things.

First, he entered at a time when the cars were pretty easy to drive, in many ways. The most difficult aspect of the cars last year were all the buttons and mechanisms you had to learn, but that's nothing that couldn't be sorted out with long hours at the factory and good coaching. In 2017, the performance gap between F1 and any junior category is huge once again and the drivers have to be athletes - I think the days of a teenager hopping into an F1 car from F3 or whatever and being on the pace straight away are over.

Second, my gut instinct tells me that Max is the path to greatness, and has that super-human it that separates the great drivers like him from the extremely good ones. You can throw anything at a driver like that, and they'll learn.

TL;DR - I think even very good young drivers will look out of their depth thrown into a 2017 F1 car before they're ready, especially in a grid littered with decades of experience.