View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3754855)   #8084
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Unfortunately, we're where we're at now because the ACO let things get out of control. The ERS incentive and catering to factory teams almost exclusively is why LMP1 wasn't sustainable.

As I mentioned, LMP900 and LMP1 first gen lasted 5 years with relatively little change. Since 2009, it's been three year plans, constantly changing regs, and sometimes significant rules changes between seasons or in season.

Sometimes, maybe if the ACO left things alone, things would've been more sustainable. Which also means not going with the ERS incentive and throwing a bone to the privateer teams every once in a while.

Every time I've sited LMP900 or LMP1 first generation as examples that the ACO should've followed for stability, I get chewed out for it, but the history doesn't lie.
Those two things aren't exclusive, they're mutual. The manufacturer's pushed for an ers incentive and all agreed on it. They wanted to be seen using more hybrid power and that's what happened. You have to move forward, not backwards. They're trying to remain relevant and attract big names to the series so that it's recognized. Going back to non-hybrids is a nice thought, but an unreasonable one.