View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2017, 22:26 (Ref:3755715)   #74
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think we'll see Audi Sport--or probably anyone, for that matter--prior to 2020. I'm also betting that cost might have to go down to at least pre 2014 levels or DTM has to collapse or they decide to spend less money on it before Audi Sport come back.

There could also be a chance that Porsche might come back in, though I'm skeptical about that if some of their off the record comments about 2020 regs are fact instead of rumor.

And I don't think we should lose sight of the last couple of sentences in Graham's post. LMP1 might have been able to survive (at least better) if the class was more open and accessible. I don't think that Audi Sport and Porsche pulling out would be as big a deal if we had 4-5 other manufacturers rather than just one outside of VAG owned operations. I think that the "go big or go home" mentality that the ACO tried to appeal to was at fault there, just as an observer's opinion.

The ball is in the ACO's court. Will they learn from this, of continue down a path that doesn't, at least outside looking in, make much sense?

Last edited by chernaudi; 29 Jul 2017 at 22:34.