View Single Post
Old 30 Mar 2018, 07:20 (Ref:3811857)   #317
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Regarding what happens when F1 is completely hidden behind a paywall.
I think we have a good analogy here in the UK with Touring Car Racing. The BTCC (admittedly, more of a circus than pure motor racing) has tremendous following (on TV, in the written media and actually at the races, good sponsorship (many household names) and capacity grids of 32 cars. Every meeting gets full coverage on mainstream TV (ITV4) which is FTA. BTCC cars are built to specific regulations for races only in the BTCC.
Admittedly it's a new for this year series, but there will be a series of races for TCR cars. TCR cars are manufacturer built, they race all over The World including a World Championship and the cars are cheaper to buy and run than BTCC cars, but apparently also give exciting & competitive racing.. There is no mainstream TV coverage planned for these races.
Admittedly, it is a new series for this year, and we know that money is tight everywhere, but there are only 13 cars entered for the first race with only 9 confirmed for the whole year.
So, my reasoning is that I am sure that the lack of mainstream TV coverage is a major factor in teams / drivers being unable to attract the relevant sponsorship to compete in the series, and I feel that the lessening of interest in F1 is having the same effect. For example, I know that they have had a disastrous time over the past few seasons, but even the mighty McLaren is unable to attract a title sponsor! The costs of running in F1 are enormous (and obscene), this type of situation cannot go on forever.