Thread: WEC Rebellion Racing
View Single Post
Old 8 May 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3820776)   #7
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I agree with you on this one, it is a ridiculous situation. I'm wondering if this is an oversight by the privateers, or if the necessary software is simply not available to buy off the shelf. It's a seriously bizarre situation, when fuel usage is fundamental to them racing within the rules. It could simply be down to money, but I doubt it somehow, when the teams are already throwing millions into their programmes. Having to resort to guesswork is 100% ridiculous.
They have a fuel flow, regulating how much fuel they can use for each hour. This determines the engine max power. Anyway, if they would use this amount of fuel the whole time, they would be out of the regulated maximum amount of energy allowed per lap, ergo coasting before braking.

Fuel usage and fuel flow have been set not according to each other and hence the issue.

They (or their engine management supplier) can surely develop a system to coast automatically, but it needs time and this change was proposed by the Aco a few days before Spa. Such a system need to be designed, developed and tested....hence time and money that were not planned initially...hence issues.

To be honest i see their point very well.