View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3832165)   #2113
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
An interesting - and indeed perfectly fair point, but it fails to take into account the subjective angle on what is and what isn't 'great'. Take me for example. Le Mans is the highlight of my year. I look forward to it immensely and I'll admit to pining for it when it's over and I'm back here at home on Tenths reading what people have said about it. What is 'great' to me may be wholly different to what is 'great' to someone else. I don't have any need to dissect the race and analyse the stats. Nor do I need to compare Toyota's advantage in 2018 to someone else's in 2000 and whatever. The race engaged me enough and I was pleased with the outcome. If the Rebs or SMP had been able to press Toyota, yes, I'm sure I'd have enjoyed that a lot, but it didn't happen and even I with my limited knowledge knew it wasn't going to. Hell, early in the week, Bart actually told me that they couldn't challenge Toyota but he was perfectly sanguine about it. Neither he nor I felt the need to stamp our feet and shout about it.

So yes, Le Mans was 'great' for me and barring some disaster, it was always going to be. If that makes me idiotically superficial in my approach to the event, I don't much care. In fact, it was significantly 'greater' for me than 2017 which, as races go, was pretty disappointing. But then again, it was still 'great' because it was Le Mans and I was lucky enough to be there - and I didn't consult the EoT details to know that....
Le Mans will always be great. I don't think there's anything that will make it not great. But I also think great things should be open to analysis and discussion, and where needs be, criticism. Otherwise we're just fanboys. Some of us DO enjoy dissecting the race and analysing the stats. It's what we love Trussers for and it's what produces all these graphs and lap time charts. I really don't think that should be shot down in this way.

And a quick edit to say: I don't think any of the teams have complained. But I don't think it's fair to ignore that the ACO aimed for half a second gap and achieved a 5.5 second gap. That is worth discussing. That is what was being talked about. That's just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not at all. This thread is about the race. The regs and what they do or don't do should be discussed elsewhere. What you are saying is that we should get really serious about the regs to the extent that the race doesn't matter. It's the same in F1. Im frankly kissed off with it. Get real. Teams win, teams lose.
What was being discussed was the gap in lap time between Toyota and the privateers in this race. That should be in this thread...right? Unless it's a stat, and then it's fake and deserves to be dismissed.

And no, that's not what I'm saying. Sorry for discussing what has been a rather hot topic on the run-up to the race. I'll be sure to just post "Jolly good! Some boys lost this time, but I'm sure they'll do better next time" and ignore anything that's been going on.

I'll drop it now, partly because it's not going anywhere and partly because, and I'm not normally this critical (and I don't think I've ever been critical of this forum), but that's a poor stance to take on having discussions on a discussion forum.