View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3842295)   #48
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I know that times & opinions have changed by my favourite saloon car (as they were called at the time) racer in the early 1970's was a chap called Gerry Marshall. He was well known for enjoying a drink (in fact his excellent biography was called "Only here for the Beer"!)

I can confirm that fact.

A lasting memory is of Gerry, a couple of other drivers and myself, doing our damnedest to drink the Paddock Bar at Brands dry after a major Redex meeting. At the end of the evening, only Gerry and I were left, and when I next spoke to him we found out that neither of us could remember how we got home to North London.

His reason was that he had won (again), whilst my excuse was that I had suffered my first ever mechanical issue in a heat race that meant that I couldn't make it to the final later that afternoon. A faulty head gasket was to blame.