Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 29 Jun 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3914796)   #1258
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Just look at what we have now. We've had a spec tyre for 8 years now. And only in one of those years have we had 2 teams battling for the title. Over 85% of the seasons since we moved to the Pirelli spec tyres have been dominated by single teams. So what negative effect did a tyre war really bring? It works in other series. If it doesn't work in F1 then they need to take a good hard look at why proven solutions in other series don't work for them. The solution isn't the problem.
You have a number of points in your larger post. Just wanted to focus on this last one. While I am not a fan of tire wars, I also don't like the status quo. I think you phrase the problem as having two polar opposite solutions. Single or multiple providers. It's more complex than that.

What we have is a heavily controlled spec tire that is designed to be a lesser solution so as to add extra uncertainty to the race. Add in the requirements to change compound during the race. That is far from another option of a better tire with a wider operating window from a single provider. My complaints are with the restrictive design requirements given to Pirelli.

Tire wars CAN be exciting if the providers have performance parity. But, if they don't, they also can penalize large swaths of the field who are locked into the wrong partner.

Richard