Thread: New SUVs
View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2019, 19:50 (Ref:3941997)   #374
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm not disputing the fact that they sell well - I just don't understand why - they don't do anything better than a hatch or an estate and they do lots of things worse.
Which things do they do worse? Fuel milage now is a wash, which is impressive.

SUVs tend to beat a hatch on cargo space and seating capacity. Certainly my mother in-laws SEAT SUV thing has a usable middle seat, whilst my Fiestas middle seat is more a padded area to place things. The SEAT thing also has far better visibility than my Fiesta has. It certainly felt like I could see more. The way you entered the vehicle was interesting too. The mother in law struggles to step into my Fiesta passenger seat because it's too low for her hips and back to cope with. Mines just a standard 63 plate Fiesta, it isn't low, but she really didn't cope with it. However she steps into the SEAT as it's at a height that doesn't require bending. So in terms of accessibility for those with hip and back pain, it is much much better. In terms of load space, there are plenty of examples of SUVs with bad boots (trunks!), but hers certainly beat my Fiesta. It had more height than mine did, although that will of course lose out to an estate car - that'll win every time.

I can't think of much my Fiesta does better than the SEAT thing. Maybe handling, but people buying SUVs aren't buying it for the time it set from Bridge to Gantry.

If you don't like them and don't understand them then that's totally cool. Each to their own. But what Chris Harris said was -

Do any of these car companies realise how f**king ridiculous they look unveiling more massive, pointless SUVs?

I don't think he realises how f**king ridiculous he looks not understanding basic economics. And maybe understanding that just because we all love V8 engines and amazing cars, that most of the world doesn't care. Granny just wants to be able to get in and out of her car. She doesn't know what she drives. But it's beige and is the right height for her, and holds her shopping. It doesn't look ridiculous. It looks smart. It isn't pointless - it will sell.

And then Harris tops off his stupidity with -

To answer the SUV supporters - the world is out to vilify and kill the internal combustion engined motor car, and the car companies are giving all the haters the perfect justification to hate them.

Not sure what this has to do with the ICE. I'm disappointed. I like Harris. But he's being a tool here.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 21 Nov 2019 at 19:55.