Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3956984)   #155
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
But the actual fact is , without a large increase in generation , if just 5% of the motoring public plug in at the same time in the Winter months , then the grid goes down , & will not restart without the load being removed .
Somehow I do not think that this is accurate.
There are a number of factors that are not being considered, when you make this claim.

Worst case scenario, based on 5% of the motoring public:
Assumptions:
All cars are capable of using a CHAdeMO connection 50kW.
All cars are driven to a CHAdeMO charging point (dedicated DC charging station in a commercial setting).

32,000,000/20 = 1,600,000 cars
1,600,000 * 50kW = 80GW of current draw

However:
Not all cars are capable of using CHAdeMO stations
CHAdeMO stations have onboard systems that control the current draw from the network
The availability of CHAdeMO stations in the workplace is currently minimal

So what about the other end of the scale - everyone with an electric vehicle charges at home simultaneously?
Assumptions:
All owners have a higher-spec 'fast charger' in their domestic setting (7kW).
All vehicles are capable of charging at 7kW (they're not).

1,600,000 cars * 7kW = 11.2 GW of current draw.

11.2 GW is not going to disable the grid.

(NB: - I followed your error of GWh previously, whereas instantaneous current does not have a time factor)