View Single Post
Old 4 Mar 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3961505)   #127
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
It's been over 8 months since I logged onto this site. I have had quite a rough year and continue to struggle on with business etc.
Le Mans is still in my blood and I have been following the WEC/ Hypercar developments with interest, hope, and disappointment in equal measures.
My usual group of Le Mans attendees has dwindled to nothing which I think is illustrative of how badly wrong the ACO and Motorsport in general have got things.
I can't see me returning for my 30th trip in 2020. I was interested in some manufacturer battles under the new HC rules in 2021 but even that looks unlikely now. The racing is not the only factor - ease of travel, cost, exchange rates, and over commercialization all come into consideration. I am sure I will return one year soon - but for now I feel I am likely to watch from the comfort of my own home. Here's hoping for better times ahead for the sport. Pilg. (aka Gav)
I sympathise with your point of view. My own days attending the race are drawing to a close - principally because of ill health and old age - but I still anticipate being there this year.

The race goes through peaks and troughs. 2020 looks certain to be one of the troughs, but I'm sure it will bounce back. I think back to the Balestre trough, the 1992 trough and possibly others will feel there have been more. For now, the ACO seems to have lost its way, but I'm sure common sense will ultimately prevail.

Nobody seems to want to be invloved with expensive hybrid prototypes; I suspect the public doesn't want to know about hypercars and during all this, GT3 is flourishing worldwide. My own preference would be for LM to return to the format we saw in the Fifties and early Sixties, but I know there are tenthers who would sooner see nothing but prototypes.

Whatever direction the ACO takes, my interest seems unlikely to wane. despite my physical limitations. I hope you feel able to return soon, Pilgrimage.