View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3962437)   #2309
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
If you look at the pic you can see fence posting but no fence, very obvious

They have said fences will be placed at the other side of the track as well for F1.

so yes: they were racing on a unfinished tack, as you can see on this drone footage as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSBJW7xte-w
Safety fences are, more usually than not, for the safety of the people behind them rather than the cars & drivers in front. If there's no public access to an area and there are no specific hazards there, then there's little need for a fence - look at many other circuits for examples.

The marshal's post looks pretty robust to me, too. The guys were inside their own protective boundary as the car came towards them and stayed put until it stopped.

The only question I would have is what caused the car to take off - sometimes hitting armco at a specific angle can do it, but in this case I'd hazard a guess that something caused the car to spin and it dug in to the ground as it rotated or slid sideways. That's not an uncommon occurrence at finished tracks, you only have to look at Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch for that.