View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2020, 02:23 (Ref:3970672)   #147
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
If you mean the transition to groved tires, If I remember correctly, it was to reduce the size of the contact patch without using narrower tires? An attempt to reduce overall grip and lower cornering speeds? I could be remembering it wrong.

Richard
I think you are right, although that could have been done by narrowing the tyres. To maintain the grooves I think it also meant you’d have to have harder compounds.

However that year when tyre stops were banned wasn’t directly linked to grooved tyres. It meant it was very Michelin dominated and there was the incident with Kimi trying to make a flat spotted tyre last. People could take that it was challenging.