View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2002, 06:19 (Ref:397297)   #6
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with jcclausen. Moving any CART event or adding an event at Sebring would be cutting the St. Pete races throat. It's the same market! Everyone's keeps saying they want a race at Sebring...It would be the same fans, same TV market, no real benefits. Besides CART need Miami and Miami needs CART.

Sebring is a nice little community but they don't even have there own TV station to my knowledge, The pick up Tampa and Sarasota stations.

Sebring would only work if it was the same weekendas as the 12 hours which wouldn't benefit the ALMS because that weekend stands on its own just fine. Also, adding another race at Sebring would not bring out the fans (remember Andy Evans Octoberfest with the then WSC cars (LMP) and the FIA GT series, there were only a few thousand fans!) Another point (not to put down sebring's fan base, because I love that track) is that half the locals that are in attendance don't even watch the race, they are just there for redneck spring break. They turn the infield into a shanty town and try and get drunk girls to flash them. These are not the most sophisticated people in the world and not appreciative of what CART does.

Anyone who has spent the weekend camping at Sebring can back me up on this one. By saturday afternoon you are ankle deep in beer cans in the fenced off walkways.