Thread: WEC WEC 2019/20 season
View Single Post
Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3973604)   #942
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
NASCAR says that they want to get going sometime next month, but even then it'll be far from normal. The first races will happen in states near North Carolina (where almost all teams are based), without fans, with personnel reductions, likely no live pit stops (think the old truck series half time break between segments).

This is symptomatic of the conflict that's going on in life in general everywhere right now. People don't want to get sick or make others ill or willfully put their or others life and limb at risk. But people are out of work, some are running out of money, and even people who call themselves homebodies or loners need some form of social interaction and are going stir crazy.

Some lifting of restrictions (such as happening in Germany and Belgium right now or soon, though it generally doesn't apply to mass gatherings, and are also planned for most areas of the US/North America soon) are I think necessary.

Saying that, life will still be difficult for many who crave what normal was. Sadly, that normal may very well be months away from mostly coming back. But I do have to admit as someone who needs some social interaction to cope with depression and mental health issues, some small steps towards normalcy is better than nothing. It's kinda like the Chauchat machine gun from World War I and the Sten SMG from World War II. They were kinda crap as weapons and there were in truth probably better things for the job at hand. But they were cheap, available, can be made in large numbers quickly, and were a lot better than just throwing rocks at enemy troops.

And that's the path that racing has to take. They (and we as the fandom as well) have to accept that things will be strange and awkward. But trying to make some steps to try and get back to "normal" are better than nothing for everyone involved.

We have to face facts, the world can't go on like this forever. Nothing lasts forever in reality. But I do hope that the world collectively has learned from this and know better how to act/react/proact next time.