View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2020, 16:55 (Ref:3973838)   #48
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
I think historic motorsport is at the bottom of the motorsport pyramid and it’s a lot of fairly old blokes playing with old bags of bolts.
All other motorsport will be considered much more important than Historics and will be first in any queue.

Get ready to be disappointed!

I 'd argue that behind F1 and BTCC , historic racing is the biggest branch of the sport. We have no modern single seater racing , GT gets so -so crowds but the biggest crowds I see are Goodwood (MM - I don't do the Revival now) , the Classic , Gold Cup and VSCC / CSCC /HSCC events get good crowds at the right circuit in decent weather

Historic racing has a far wider demographic than you suggest - of course there's old farts like me , but I see plenty of youngsters too. Why not when you can buy an FF1600 which doesn't lose value , and enjoy close racing for a fraction of modern single seaters , assuming you can find any.

I expect no events to take place this year which people like us can attend - I am happy to grasp that nettle now and wish reality would kick in for organisers who think things will be back to normal in 3 months