View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3980289)   #6191
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How is that different to what we have now?

The Honda, Ford, BMW and TOCA units all produce different levels of power without performance adjustments being made. They also go through analysis at the start of the season to 'equalise', and then are subject to ongoing adjustment through the season to 'equalise' further.

If, for instance, the new engine was a 1.5L or 1.6L unit producing similar figures to current (approx. 380bhp?), then all engines would go through the same equalisation process as they currently do surely?
Honda, Ford and BMW would still be able to continue with their current units (so no extra expense), and be subject to adjustments applied to boost levels against the TOCA benchmark (so no more complicated than now).
I can see your reasoning and I am honestly not trying to pick a fight with you but the 'equalisation' required isn't just maximum brake horsepower, it is also maximum torque, and whereabouts this is delivered. From a marketing point of view I can see the advantages for a manufacturer to be able to boast that their 1500cc engine produces enough power to compete with/beat all of the other manufacturers 2 litres, but the TOCA unit is just supposed to be an un-branded alternative for teams to use instead of developing an engine themselves, or if there is not a suitable donor engine available from the manufacturer of the vehicle that they are using. Having engines of the same capacity is one of the many level playing field parts of the BTCC regulations along with standardised suspension, wheels & tyre sizes and brakes etc. I just see it as an un-necessary complication and ultimately expense as it could encourage other manufacturers to produce their own (probably even) smaller engines to claim supremacy,