View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3980293)   #6193
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
My brain thinks that if the power unit is to have showroom relevance it will be smaller than 2 litre. But what showroom relevance exists in a BTCC car? Just a silhouette with big bumpers and arches in reality.

However, RS67s point about 380 hp out of a, say, 1.6 lump is right - I don't think anybody could produce that reliably. But of course technology moves on, and the 350 hp on the last Focus RS road car raised many eyebrows - as did the 270 on the last Astra VXR a few years previously. So I wouldn't rule a smaller unit out.

Financially it will be based on somebody's product, the cost of design and development of an engine is astronomical - to create a specific engine for a race series is a non starter - the cost to teams would be far too high or it would have to be subsidised. Neither of which will happen.

I guess we'll see, but if I were a gambling man I'd wager a Ford lump heavily modified.