View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3980930)   #18
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It's a bit different perhaps when you realise that you've been to 39% of all the Le Mans 24 Hours.....

I'm much like Andrew. Although my first was a year earlier in 1985 (Jacky Ickx's last), I was forced to miss one at the turn of the century due to circumstances beyond my control. Yes 39% and I remember when I passed the quarter mark, then a third... My mind did wander to the race on my enforced year off, but now it's just a faint, relatively insignificant memory.

I'm at an age where I'm getting too old for it all - I'm now well into my Seventies. For a couple of years now I've been saying this is my last, yet, of course, I keep coming back and am still hopeful of being there in September. If I'm not, it will be because the French government/ACO have taken the decision will be out of my hands.

Am I missing this year's summer trip? Yes. I wish right now I was heading for the Channel, then heading south down the autoroute. I wish I was browsing in the hypermarket or a local street market, trying to decide what to cook. I wish I was lazing in the sunshine with a cold beer or wine in my hand. Worst will be on Saturday when I shall be in front of the television (If, like you Andrew, I can work out how to screen it....) It'll be a sort of race, but it won't have the atmsophere and it's definitely not the same thing, however much we "talk it up".