Old 21 Jun 2020, 20:51 (Ref:3983124)   #622
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
But rather making the point that if we're talking hypothetically, then you can say just about anything is possible, however unlikely it may seem.
But... those aspirations need to be realistic & achievable for people to take them seriously.
As things stand today, right now, you're probably doing little, if anything towards 'saving the planet' by buying and EV, when you factor in all of the elements to it - the raw materials, manufacture and end-of-life considerations and the way the electricity is currently generated to charge it.
So if you want to go and buy one, fine, I have no problem with that. But what I do object to is the attempts at brain-washing carried out by the manufacturers and politicians who would have you believe that you are, in fact, saving the planet by buying one of these and abandoning your nasty, dirty, smelly ICE, when, in reality, with the current technology and not some possible future scenario, there probably isn't much in it.

Pretty much my own beliefs there, Paul, but I doubt I could have put it so well. I imagine in the next couple of years when my wife changes her car it will be to an EV, though a Tesla will be beyond our pockets, unfortunately. However, I doubt the change will do anything for the environment.