View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2020, 09:08 (Ref:3983728)   #1946
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry max, maybe I wasn't very clear in what I said. I was referring to how, generally (NOT MSUK specifically), those in a position to change things often seek the opinions of those affected but then simply carry on regardless.

It wasn't a dig at MSUK - I absolutely agree that, since Dave Richards took the helm especially, things have begun to change.

And long may it continue: if they want to keep club racers actively involved, and also encourage new ones to enter the sport, I am absolutely convinced that they need to remove a lot of the bureaucracy & red tape involved in competing, whilst at the same time addressing some of the, arguably, unnecessary costs we're all forced to pay to sit on the grid.

I think it's even more important now, in light of the current economic situation created by Covid. Many will be looking to reduce their spending in the short to medium term I think, and motorsport may well be the one 'luxury' that has to go for some. Which means some may never return to the sport after restrictions lift in the coming weeks. Couple to that the fact that, even before Covid came along, numbers were dwindling and not enough new blood was entering the sport to replace those leaving, and it's easy to see that the model is not sustainable long-term.

So, I actually do applaud MSUK for recognising these facts and, hopefully, addressing some of the problems. For years, I believe they did pretty much bury their heads in the sand and hope it would all sort itself out...

Last edited by Paul D; 25 Jun 2020 at 09:17.