View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2020, 00:04 (Ref:3996775)   #349
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Problem being if you remove the engineering challenges/advances you remove much of the interest from the sport and many of the opportunities for sponsorship.

Eg a standard brake package notionally saves money but not if you then lose your sponsored supply. To use an old example Larry Perkins using Endless pads and callipers to help win Bathurst in 1995. Endless still use it today to promote their product. No chance of that happening with mandated callipers/rotors etc now is there?
I totally agree but the world of motor racing is changing unfortunately and new answers will have to found. From top to bottom of professional racing there is a move to contain costs and all the teams doing the same work to get to the same answer seems pointless and wasteful. I have said before that a totally freed up set of regulations would be my preference but it is no longer practical. The first thing to go would be the rev limit & engine restrictions and the second that dopey diff they use. Next would be fixed ratios and the costs just went through the roof.