View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2021, 15:08 (Ref:4028740)   #145
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The reason for LMH/LMDH is to reduce costs to try and get both OEMs and privateers back in, possibly with customer cars from factory teams. I can remember when people were saying that the Audi R10 was beyond private teams being able to run them. Now, there's 1-2 in private hands in running order. The LMP1 hybrids were magnitudes more complex than the R10 and much more expensive.

One of the easiest ways to reduce cost is "dumb down" the hybrid tech to basically what we had in 2013, and raise minimum weight. 1030kg may sound excessive (and IMO probably is), but it's still in line with the 775kg to 900kg weight increases in LMP2 from 2006-2011. That much weight increase was to reduce costs and encourage volume sales compared to say, the Porsche RS Spyder, which was basically a lightweight, small engined LMP1 spec car of it's era and just as if not more expensive.

I'd rather see 900-925kg cars, but we also have to remember that bigger engines also tend to be less expensive than the smaller engines (using F1-type engines killed Group C, remember).

The rules are what they are, and we can either live with them, or leave it. And after the debacle of the 2014-20 LMP1 rules, if it gets more cars in, produces good racing and adds variety, I'm in favor of even LMDH, even if I don't agree with everything in it's concept.

And that's what I don't get about a lot of things in life in general nowadays, that if you don't whole-heartedly toe the line on something, you're an edgelord clout-chaser or edgy. Individual thought is what makes people and things interesting, and if we all thought the same, I probably wouldn't bother being on this forum. I don't even agree with LMH and would've rather seen a return to a modernized LMP900/first gen (2004-08) LMP1. But IMO, overall, LMH and LMDH are still probably a lot better than the past few years.
You are correct on every point you made. A car builder can still achieve everything you mention but make the car look like a GT1 car rather than a LMP in the spirit of LMH initially.