Thread: ELMS ELMS Discussion
View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2021, 20:45 (Ref:4040663)   #498
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm somewhere in between on this. Of course I want good racing but I also have no time for spec series. LMP2 is almost at that point in reality of course because of the ACO's deeply flawed 4 constructors/frozen homologation approach.

On the face of it, it is quite a pure formula because there is a technical rule book and no BoP. But without the ability to develop, of course everyone gravitates to the best chassis. United Autosports even sacrificed their UK distribution deal with Ligier in order to have a shot at winning. You would have to say that worked out for them.

When I took my brother-in-law to LM for the first time about 7 years ago one of his first observations was how different all the cars sounded. He is not a racing fan but he was pleasantly surprised.

Even GTE is getting very samey, despite BoP. And if it wasn't for BoP everyone in Am would be running a Ferrari. The sooner it is replaced by GT3 the better.

As for LMP2 and LMP3, they are 'successful' in the sense that the grids are full. But they have failed to protect the anointed constructors, except Oreca in P2 and Ligier in P3. The idea of being able to build cars in large numbers because of limited competition might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it hasn't worked out that way. I hope they can think of a way of improving it. Which probably means BoP...