View Single Post
Old 24 Mar 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4042679)   #16
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few random thoughts....

Single seaters tend to be easier to buy than they are to sell. If you are looking for a toe in the water car and you would need to sell it before buying your next one then you need to ensure you buy something that is easy to move on. Likewise I would only look at something with HTPs

There are lots of options but some of it depends on budget to buy, budget to run and how much of the mechanical work you are looking to do yourself. When looking for a car for the 6hr, a mate and I went for a TR4 not an MGB just to have something different, although not too different. It has been a good choice.

Dont discount running costs. I understand that if paying others to do the work then a full on front of the grid race A series engine is approaching £1000/hr in rebuilds.

You cant get enough track time. a cheaper track day mule is a good thing to have, and could actually replace your first race car. I have a road legal but full caged E46 M3 to skid about in when the mood takes me. A lot of performance for the money. Plus you can break them for close to their value if you do hit the wall.

Most important of all is you need to be in a car you like, not one that is fast/competitive. There is a big but subtle difference between taking your old car motor racing and going motor racing in an old car. People with the former mindset tend to bend their cars less than people with the latter. This is why the VSCC and HGPCA are so good. The HGPCA is a good option, how much more than a top FJ is an F1/F2 Cooper T45?

Just my 2p worth