View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2021, 13:55 (Ref:4059568)   #8710
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Point taken , but how many Cayenne's and Panamera's have you seen broken down on the sides of the roads?
Probably a lot more than Mazdas, that's for sure. I think you missed my point entirely. Reliability on the road does not equal reliability on the race track. Once you chuck everything away and build a race engine based on the stock block it can be as reliable or as unreliable as anything out there. It's not going to be automatically more reliable. Just cheaper.

As far as I understand VAG is going to derive their engine from the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 out of Bentley Continental GT3. For a start, in a prototype it will have to deal with different kind of vibrations (and loads if semi-stressed). And then there's the factor of whatever further changes they'll make to it, including different packaging, exhaust, cooling, and marrying it with KERS system. Every change can potentially screw things up or cause a ripple effect of things that will need to be redesigned as a result.

They're not going to just physically take an engine out of a Cayenne Turbo and bolt it on the back of an LMP2.