View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2021, 18:15 (Ref:4062420)   #182
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The circumstances which led to Hamilton winning here are pretty unusual.

First, the collision itself. I don't think this is in any way a cut-and-dried red card tackle (to use a football analogy). The stewards (referee) didn't think so either.

Second, a tap like that causing a crash that severe is very unlucky. The angle, force and instant could have been different by a tiny fraction and the result would have been far less dramatic. The severity of the crash was far greater than the severity of the infraction that led to it.

Third, a red flag allowing Merc to fix a car that would otherwise have been retired. Again, an unusual situation. I personally (as said on the other thread) don't think repairing under red flag should be allowed.

Fourth, Hamilton having a car far superior to the rest. The rules can't take that into account.

Assembling a set of rules which would deliver the equitable outcome you are looking for, in circumstances that may well never be repeated, is pretty tough to envisage. The only way to do it would be to say that a driver causing a collision which takes a competitor out of the race is black flagged. That will lead to some extreme outcomes just as controversial the other way. It might also simply kill racing since even a minor misjudgement might (thanks to random chance and physics) lead to disqualification.

This isn't a new problem. Drivers have their races wrecked through no fault of their own every weekend, at every level of racing, all over the world and have done since racing began. It's just part of the sport.