View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4062994)   #2523
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saturday, and practice only, 2 runs, possibly 3 with one more tomorrow morning before the task in hand starts.
It did not go to pan for several, including me!
Got about 1/2 way up the hill and changing from 2nd to 3rd and nothing, the gear lever was attached to fresh air quickly followed by a nasty scraping noise. Pulled into the rescue 'slot' just on the esses to get off the hill and puched deeper in to clear the other loonies charging the hill. A weld I had obviously expertly made all of 8 years ago had failed.

While waiting to be allowed to coast down the hill for a closer look I remembered I had Mk1 of this linkage still in my tool box, the failed one was a demon tweek to be better than Mk1.

Got the car into 1st manually and drove down the hillto the paddock and fitted Mk1 link. 15 mins later and we did a 2nd practice run with success, but the change is hard work, but worked.

Came home and welded FAR more expertly the broken parts and will fit them on the car tomorrow morning, not a big job at all.

Allan had a belt failure on his run and ruptured the oil pressure capillary tube out of the engine sensor, others had all manner of small issues.

Sign the cars are getting used!

Have not yet checked, but we might have missed the live stream for the day, but hope to be in business tomorrow.

Exciting times.
The 3 times this car has broken have all been at Prescott.

Today's weather was superb, cool, overcast, light breeze and dry, hoping for the same tomorrow.