View Single Post
Old 25 Jul 2021, 23:00 (Ref:4063138)   #208
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Article from Brundle covering the incident:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-on...rcedes-1114543

That is worth a read and brings up some interesting points.

Horners view:

“I am told by Red Bull there is data to prove Lewis was significantly faster into Copse than at any other time and he would not have made the corner without running wide, and inevitably contacting Max,” Brundle wrote.

“Presumably, that will be made publicly available and if Red Bull feel they have ‘new evidence’ they may well make an appeal to the FIA as to their perceived degree of fault and leniency regarding Hamilton.”

Mercedes official, chief technical officer James Allison, suggested that “if you look at the stewarding document then I think that Lewis did nothing wrong” because Hamilton had been “substantially alongside” Verstappen at the point of the incident, and therefore should have been given space rather than being required to cede it.

Allison also claimed that Hamilton would have been able to take the corner had they not collided, one of the requirements of the rules, and if Red Bull do indeed have data that shows he had never made the corner from that position and that speed before, or since, it might be that Hamilton is bang to rights.

However, the stewards could also argue that they agree, and have already punished him for it. Red Bull may not like it, but they may have punished him just enough to make the penalty hard to change.

One could also argue that Hamilton was nowhere near alongside when and just before the contact, so the stewards just plain got the decision wrong.

The other quote that does not play very well for Hamilton is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVOLUNQEA9M
2 minutes 10 secs

Damon Hill points out that “it was Lewis who said: I’m a street fighter and if you want to be rough with me, I’ll show you what I can do”

Last edited by wnut; 25 Jul 2021 at 23:06.