View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2021, 21:10 (Ref:4071684)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i suppose one could infer details about power settings, gear shifts, etc at or on different parts of the track and in some tight battles this could yield valuable information.

would have loved to seen what Alonso was seeing/doing with his steering inputs back in Hungary when defending against Ham! that would have been some excellent TV!

imo, this sort of insight into a driver's inputs is a lesson unto itself and the benefit to the spectator far outweighs the teams' concern for secrecy.

about the omnipresent 360 cam...this is 2021 so whats the point of putting any camera on the car if they cannot broadcast said image live?

i definitely can understand that there are technical issues with a multitude of feeds and then to render it in real time. no doubt this is a major cost and challenge and a case on my expectations exceeding what is currently possible.

so while they figure it out and build up their capabilities, then how about more footage from these 360 cams after the fact?

in fairness, they dont seem to do much (or anything at all really) with this footage in post production or for later consumption on their web site. possible i have just missed it though!

or maybe its just there for Netflix?
Here is a video from Formula1 YouTube channel, it contains Russell's quallly lap, multiple onboards from Land as well as a full Lap from Alonso's visor cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo04LcpN9vE

Alonso's lap starts at approx 7:45. on it you can clearly see torque setting changes, differential setting changes, where his brake bias is and right at the end you see the recharge mode.
To viewers it's great to see the driver at work, but a rival team's engineers who could compare that to what their own drivers are doing , especially in a qually or race situation then it really could make a difference towards race strategy.

There was no 360 cam footage in this video, I'm sure it's mid to later in the week before it's released.

When you consider what I presume to be a SSD is removed from the cars, the data then uploaded back to FOM TV's base at Biggin Hill as I believe that's where post production is done . Hours of video from each car, to be gone through to find interesting parts, probably made easier by timing cues from other cameras etc.
But then to process and edit the footage into something usable, I'm not surprised that we don't get to see a huge amount of it released.