View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2021, 03:32 (Ref:4075536)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
I seem to remember Robin Miller saying that Roger Penske was against continuing that race. I don't remember if a reason was given. The sanctity of the Indy 500 as the only race at the venue is long gone. The Freedom 100 was a great race that only lacks for exposure/promotion. The only rational reason I see for it not to continue is if there are safety concerns about the cars at IMS.
The question came up with Mr Miles in a media session at Long beach. He said there was no intention there was no intention to resurrect it and that they were concerned that any product they promoted met the standards of entertainment they adhered to and wanted to support.

I could take from that the lower entry count and repercussions of any major incidents /accidents on a support race for the 500.

Its interesting that the NASCAR race is now on a road course and that maybe from concerns around passing and overtaking on the oval.
So the '500 is more 'sanctified' than it was.
Im not sure how long the NASCAR race will continue to run at Indy....