View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2022, 08:51 (Ref:4094527)   #169
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But it is perfectly possible to be British (or Australian) and have a reasonable opinion on matters with these two drivers.

It is also possible that it can be a reasonable opinion and positive opinion of these drivers even if they are from the same country. It is possible to side with them on an issue too.

And this is the problem with the simpleton’s location checks out view. You throw out reasonable opinion and automatically assume it is to be dismissed. That is as bad as actual location checks out, which of course happens.

The answer is to rise above it.

The response of only saying location checks is as blind and bad as an actual location checks out.

And it is beyond tedious. It’s very obvious when someone is behaving as location checks out. We’ve now reached the point where it is obvious someone is just behaving as different-location checks out.

The best approach for those that are location checks out and different-location checks out is to find somewhere where only people who share your opinion are. I.e. not the big wild world.

As bump pass says it shouldn’t matter where you are from. Let’s assume that first.

Unfortunately I don’t share his optimism that as soon as we get racing it will pass over. The scheduling of the FIA response makes sure of that. But I hope I am wrong here.
Of course it’s possible.
From the media Martin Brundle,Joe Saward and Paul di Resta are always balanced and reasonable with opinions that are “nationality neutral”.
On the other hand Johnny Herbert,Damon Hill and from what I’ve read in the past month Andrew Benson look at everything with the Union Jack obscuring their judgement.
If you look at the threads here nearly all of the strongest supporters of Hamilton/Mercedes in this issue are British.There are hardly any English people posting who have taken the Masi/Verstappen/Red Bull side.Take those people out and the weight of opinion is nearly even.