View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4097811)   #74
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You make a good point. It just seems they need a track to make a GP happen in the country, so they don't try that hard with the layout in some places
This reminds me of what my wife would tell me about her prior job when she worked for a commercial "design/build" firm. Design/Build means you have your own in-house architecture team along with your own construction team. So they would have had total oversight of the entire solution.

With the initial sales pitch, you would see artist renderings of the solution. It would commonly show plush landscape elements. Shrubbery, flowers, large mature trees, etc. But when they start trimming the budget the first thing that goes is the landscaping because things like the building, parking, etc. are higher priority. If there is local rules then they meet the minimum and nothing more. So in the end, the landscaping would be mostly just grass and maybe a few small (cheap) trees.

My point is that in the end, these tracks are commonly part of large projects that have a lot of requirements, sometimes conflicting requirements and an implied or explicit pecking order of what is important. They may have to fit a lot into a small footprint. And if this includes construction of buildings beyond what is required to support the track (such as a hotel, etc.) then sadly, I can imagine that the actual track layout becomes second priority at times. Even if the track was to be the core element.

Lastly, I fully expect all (or a majority) who work at Tilke's firm are likely enthusiasts and want to deliver a quality product. I do suspect they are facing conflicting requirements at times. If asked to just "design a track" they probably would do a decently good job.

Richard