View Single Post
Old 13 May 2022, 13:14 (Ref:4109818)   #136
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sorry. I missed this challenge to contribute.

So you say that you are looking for evidence that the tire change decision was made based upon the 18" tire being an "improved" or "better" technical solution that will act as a way for F1 to influence or transfer technology down to road cars (road relevancy).

Sort of. I'm saying I think the side wall height for technology synergy/transfer is much more relevant than the wheel size. I think the idea to go to 18" initially had merit, but ended up (after discussions with the teams) with such a large diameter than it's just too big for open wheel class racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My opinion is that you will not find any. And it is a bad assumption that F1 technical decisions are predominantly (or even significantly) driven by "improved technology". I would argue that F1 technical decisions (particularly the big ones) are predominantly drive by commercial reasons. Thing such as "How do we improve the racing?", "How do we attract new manufactures?", "How can we control costs?", or in the case of tires "How do we attract more potential suppliers?" (not the only factor, but a big one) It has been stated many many times that while the cars are works of art from a mechanical design and construction perspective and will use many modern techniques in their design and construction (CFD, additive manufacturing) and will sometimes also bring forward new innovations (new coatings for internal components, high efficiency power units) that they are in general, far away from "state of the art". If driven by "technical improvements", the cars could be so much faster and would look very different. Just look at how the regulations if anything are about banning innovation and creating a tighter box vs. the opposite. F1 gives small areas for creativity, but you very much must color within the lines and you are only given a few crayons to color with. Where is the active aero, active suspension, etc.?
Agree, a lot of stuff was and (sometimes still is) is not always done because it makes technical sense. That's why I like the decision making since Ross Brawn is at the helm. First logical, worthwhile keenly chosen targets are set. Then with analytic method tech regulations are drawn up to achieve those goals. Just the tire dimensions to me seem not to follow that same logic.

This is so much better than how it happened with Berny where those who played it smartest got there way and I made a right mess of the regulations and the racing.

Quote:
This thread is putting forth arguments for smaller wheels and tires. I think you have argued for both smaller diameter and also narrower width. I think the arguments can hold merit in specific, but generally very narrow uses cases. And also in some ways can be viewed as just as arbitrary as 18" vs 13" wheels. I would say that many who support the 13" wheels do so just because they like the look and continuity from the past and not for technical reasons! That in total, the arguments are not compelling enough to change anything. Again, my opinion.
Well I've stated a few times I'm not arguing to go back to 13''. V8 Fireworks has explained how 13'' came about in the past (by regulations). These regulations have been caught up by time. I think there were sound reasons to have moved away from the 13'' wheels with balloon tires. It's just that what they've eventually gone for is just much too big, heavy and draggy for open wheel class racing.

Quote:
My personal opinion is that we are only a handful of races into these new regulations. And while there was some initial concerns by various people (including drivers) around the new tires, generally they have not been a problem.
They are a problem because they contribute to the increased mass issue drivers are increasingly complaining about over the last few seasons. As said unsprung rotational mass is the worst you can have.

Quote:
Back to tires and 2026. Assuming things continue to be OK, I see nearly zero chance that anything significant will change. If anything does change, I can imagine maybe width tweaks, but that would be it. I would be absolutely shocked if they moved away from 18" wheels in 2026. But again, we are only a handful of races into a new spec

Richard
I feel, (even more so after F1 shared there goals for the 2026 regulations) that the only way F1 would retain 18'' for 2026 is if the side wall is further reduced or if wheel fairings are introduced. The first would first have to go passed the teams and the latter would make F1 look a lot like prototypes and less like open wheel racing. We will see.

Based on the way things are done since Ross Brawn is in charge, based on scientific method and the 2026 goals communicated, to me it is much more likely we go to smaller wheels and tires again (just not 13'' small).

Earlier up thread we were discussing wheelbase. Pat Symonds of F1 has since indicated to Auto-motor-und-sport that they are indeed targeting 3.300mm for the wheel base. That's quite a big reduction over the 3.600mm we have now. Cars so much smaller (length and width) would just look very weird with the tires we have now.

Anyways, here are some calculations of the 3 most recent tire dimensions we've had and 3 options for the future:

P.S. Also apologies for being a bit over confrontational at times. Working on it...
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.