View Single Post
Old 20 May 2022, 18:58 (Ref:4110723)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
All very good points which I have thought myself many times.

Maybe there should be an Advanced ARDS test for people wanting to drive vehicles in advance of X bhp/tonne? Being able to lap within say 110% of a good mid grid time, and also requiring greater number of races as experience. Maybe that lap time should be revisited frequently to prove that age is not becoming a handicap.

An International Historic licence is laughingly easy to "qualify" for.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

We discussed this a couple or more years ago here on Tenths, but there is a Catch 22 problem here. A lot of these cars are owned by some, one must assume, fairly wealthy people and some of those owners and families want to drive them, and if they are stopped from doing so, then it is very possible that those cars would never see a race track. And we would be worse off if they just remained in hidden warehouses and never again saw the light of day.

Although he has relented somewhat in the recent past, one of the largest collections of past race cars belong to Bernie Ecclestone, and he wouldn't permit them to be raced in historic meetings. Luckily, that has changed, and some of them are piloted by really experienced and fast drivers.

However, one family who also own an eclectic mix of F1 cars all want to drive them at these meetings, and I fear that if one or more of the family were denied the opportunity, then they might well just take their cars and hide them. And then we would the poorer for it.