View Single Post
Old 24 May 2022, 17:15 (Ref:4111183)   #87
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so impossible to separate the tracks from the cars, the teams knowledge of a place, set up variables across days and weather conditions etc etc...

but what can we take away from Max's DRS issues at a track notorious for producing processional F1 races? maybe nothing even?

was of course great to see George defend both from Max but also earlier against Perez who had DRS working but, for me, it was also an all too frequent reminder of how difficult it is for a faster car to pass a slower one at all too many venues.

of course some see this as a skill (the defending or passing under difficult conditions which i agree it very much is) but the flip side is that no matter how much skill/speed the following driver has over the slower car is too frequently not enough to overcome the aero/physics reality of the situation.

so until the underlying issues can be fixed (if they can even be fixed at all at this point), my take away from this was twofold, DRS is really still desperately needed and after 6 races the benefit of the new rule set has been eroded.

of course a biased opinion given my thoughts on DRS to begin with...so this race very much served to reinforce my views on its necessity which i admit is not a useful position to take when trying to generate a thoughtful discussion.

also didnt help that George, Max, and Perez were all on the same times with a similar number of laps completed with them which also suggests to me we need more differentiators to relative pace and thus a further knock against race distance tires...so more confirmation basis for me on that front as well.

will endeavour to keep an open mind to fresh new perspectives on this issue though!