Thread: WEC FIA WEC calendar
View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2022, 08:52 (Ref:4119872)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I get Adams joke about Anglesey, but I'm going to add to the echo chamber anyway.

The ACO did a fan survey of what people wanted. People answered. And what we got was the opposite. Silverstone was listed as the third most popular event after LM and Spa. Bahrain didn't even feature on the results. And what did we get? No Silverstone and Bahrain got its race time extended.

If you ask what people want, and then do the opposite of what people say, don't be surprised when people keep saying "Yeah but we still want that thing we told you about when you asked us".
From a UK perspective, losing two world championship events within a year in the WEC round and Rally GB was just brutal.

As far as I'm aware Bahrain are paying good money for the presence on the calendar. So it's going absolutely nowhere and got renewed until 2027 last month.

I'm sure the manufacturers will start to have increased say over the calendar so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. It does need to re-expand slightly just to build some momentum back into the championship. The events are so distanced you just forget about it at the moment.

And I've already said in another thread they need to do a bit of work to make the other rounds feel like bigger events within themselves.