View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4121604)   #95
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
No, not disagreeing on what has been publicly stated friend. Just that it was all in Alpineā€™s gift but they made one disastrous move after another after another after another, starting with having no engine customer and giving Ocon a contract it had no need to.
It is looking like a faceplant for Alpine. Especially if their option on Piastri really did laps. Given the timing. I almost wonder if Alonso and Piastri were in cahoots together to somehow screw Alpine.

1. Alonso knows he is leaving.
2. He lets Piastri know.
3. Piastri signs contract with (McLaren?) but it only comes into play once his option with Alpine is gone
4. Alonso waits until Piastri's option expires. Then announces deal with AM without telling Alpine
5. Alpine panics and tries to exercise option on Piastri, but the option has expired and Piastri has contract elsewhere.

It makes a good story. Who knows if the dates and facts line up.

Lastly there is the large deja vu on this given this happens first recently in Indycar with Alex Palou, McLaren's Indycar team and Chip Ganassi Racing. Including public announcements of taking up contract options and in Indycar even providing quotes from Palou that he didn't make.

It is all very entertaining.

Richard