View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:00 (Ref:4121609)   #96
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It is looking like a faceplant for Alpine. Especially if their option on Piastri really did laps. Given the timing. I almost wonder if Alonso and Piastri were in cahoots together to somehow screw Alpine.

1. Alonso knows he is leaving.
2. He lets Piastri know.
3. Piastri signs contract with (McLaren?) but it only comes into play once his option with Alpine is gone
4. Alonso waits until Piastri's option expires. Then announces deal with AM without telling Alpine
5. Alpine panics and tries to exercise option on Piastri, but the option has expired and Piastri has contract elsewhere.

It makes a good story. Who knows if the dates and facts line up.

Lastly there is the large deja vu on this given this happens first recently in Indycar with Alex Palou, McLaren's Indycar team and Chip Ganassi Racing. Including public announcements of taking up contract options and in Indycar even providing quotes from Palou that he didn't make.

It is all very entertaining.

Richard

Without us really knowing anything concrete at the moment, I think your suggestion above sounds very likely...

I very much doubt Piastri, or more likely his team, would so publicly twist Alpine if there wasnt a solid alternative.

And equally, they wouldnt sign with that solid alternative before ensuring they are legally in the right.

You'd think anyway, I imagine we will find out soon.

As a Mclaren fan, im hopeful this means doors for Riccardo. Hes been incredibly disapointing, yet that didnt seem too suprising. Whether it was Piastri, Palou, Herta, or O'Ward, Im not too bothered.

Course there is one possibility outside of Mclaren, perhaps Alpha Tauri have poached him into the RB family to replace Yuki... Seems less likely though