View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2022, 05:38 (Ref:4126790)   #3168
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Us. See my bracket in the post.
The people here who for the most part are long-time fans of the sport
Understood - long-time fans of the sport may be resistant to change.

But in this echo chamber is there a danger of not recognising what other fans (present and future) want from the sport?

Other series' in motorsport regularly face criticism for not moving with the times, and sticking to outdated views on how a sport should be run. I think there is am argument to be made that sports have to change, or face extinction in the long term. If the long-term fan is the paradigm that the future fan has to become, eventually the popularity of a sport will fade into obscurity.

Sometimes, it seems that F1 is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.
Some venues are criticised because they have limited attendance - no culture of support in their country - dull atmosphere at the circuit.
This feels to me the opposite of that - the venues you mentioned (Spa, Zandvoort, Italy) are fêted as having a strong history of motorsport fandom, and a crowd with passion and enthusiasm. Maybe in the post-covid world, this is what passion and enthusiasm looks like in those countries?

I think there is a middle ground here - but tempered with an acceptance that the direction of crowd behaviour will change over time.