Thread: DTM 2022
View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2022, 22:47 (Ref:4134763)   #229
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now Motorsport Total is writing about it as well and I tend to trust them, however, nothing is stated very clearly so the outcome is not yet settled.

As for what is better, well, that's a normal thing, one will say ADAC GT, the other DTM. The fact is that since the DTM switched to the GT3 regulations, ADAC GT saw a drop in the grid numbers and quite a number of top teams have either switched to the DTM or at least join DTM in addition to their ADAC GT commitments. That's not to say there are no top teams and drivers in ADAC but probably there are more in the DTM.

The fact is that the DTM is a lot more globally renowned, however, still the biggest following is in Germany and countries 'around' as was seen at Portimao or Imola. Not sure about the on track attendance comparison (would be nice to know it btw) and the TV/online audience, however I bet that more people watched DTM. Looking at social media numbers, the DTM is far ahead although that doesn't necessarily have to be that 'objective.'

So in terms of the championship's position, DTM is probably clearly ahead, although there are likely to be people who would argue with me on that, for example saying that ADAC GT is the 'official' German GT Championship and looking at the SRO universe it's probably their strongest national championship. But anyway, my view is still that the DTM is clearly above, and teams (not all of them I suppose) seem to say that from the commercial perspective DTM means a lot more.

But, which is 'better'? I've always followed DTM and enjoyed that (despite frustrations here and there) but have never been a huge fan of GT racing (I mean sharing the car, you know, the 'typical' GT) so for me it's an easy pick although there was a time I was watching ADAC GT and enjoying that somewhat - what was always difficult for me was that it was the time of way more than 30 cars on the grid + some of the drivers were dropping during the season, being replaced by others, etc and sometimes I was struggling with following who is who and where.
But anyway, I imagine for die-hard GT fans, DTM will never be an option.

In an ideal world, DTM has their own ruleset, maybe more touring car-ish than in the years preceding switch to GT3, something like Supercars (I've always been fond of a fantasy idea of DTM being sort of European Supercars) while ADAC GT is an undisputed top (and only) GT3 series in Germany. But the motorsport stage is shrinking and that's the result. Taking this into consideration, joining forces of DTM and ADAC would probably make sense.