View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2023, 03:41 (Ref:4138857)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Maybe not during the FIA's regime, but didn't F1s and F2s race together in the 50s and 60s? And I don't know whether my memory is playing tricks on me but weren't there the odd occasion that one or two Indy cars also appeared in some races back then?
Mike, they used to run F2 cars as well as F1 at times at the Nurburgring.(1966/7/9 I know for sure) I believe that was to do with the long lap and to give the spectators more cars to look at... on the basis of with F2 cars there would always be a car within sight of spectators rather than waiting for the F1 cars to come round. (That reason might be my imagination but it rings a bell in my head)

A famous instance was Ickx in 1967 ran an F2 car at the German GP and ran near the front of the field until a DNF from a suspension failure. I know that year there were several F2 cars running. They did not qualify for points IIRC. Oliver was first F2 car to finish, in 5th but got no points. Looking at the race result I note that due to F2 cars, Guy Ligier finished 8th on the road, but as the 6th F1 car to finish, scored a point.
Results/entry show the F2 cars entered:
Results: https://www.statsf1.com/en/1967/alle...lassement.aspx
Entry list: https://www.statsf1.com/en/1967/allemagne/engages.aspx

More vague without looking it up is my memory on whether they all started together or whether the F2 started with a short delay.

Re Indy type cars running in GPs the one instance of an American type race car, (maybe not an actual Indycar), that comes to mind was Roger Ward ran a Kurtis Kraft Offenhauser midget car at the 1959 USGP at Sebring. I know he qualified last with a huge gap to pole position. He DNF'd during the race.

In fact a pic of Ward at that race. (running #1!)

Last edited by E.B; 4 Jan 2023 at 03:51. Reason: Added picture and links to results/entries