View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4139763)   #94
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Many, but in essence people aren't going to invest the astronomical amounts needed today to maybe go home after Pre-Qualifying at 9 am on Friday.
But if there aren't enough entries then pre-qualifying won't be required and the teams get automatic entry if they can get under the 107% rule. Then more teams arrive and try to get in but will fail because now there are too many, and I would suggest the number of cars entering would fluctuate up and down like a damped oscillator until reaching an equilibrium point when only teams that genuinely think they can make the grid will be entering, which will be slightly more than the 26 cars that actually race. And I know it is still astronomical amounts but the not having to attend every Grand Prix and not requiring two cars, as well as there being a significantly reduced entry fee, should reduce these astronomical amounts considerably.

Quote:
Not to mention why would constructors want to invest enormous amounts when their entry has little value, and anybody can rock up with a five year old borrowed tub and enter.
Because if the constructors invest enormous amounts then they can actually win races and championships, get the big prize money, worldwide coverage and more sponsorship, and the satisfaction of being competitive in Formula 1, whereas the five year old borrowed tubs are going to be lumbering around at the back and struggling to even get onto the grid.

Quote:
There were many good things about late 80s F1, but it wasn't very professional, apart from maybe Ron.
I don't think being less professional matters so much, it gave Formula 1 of the past that extra bit of charm, although this is obviously a personal opinion. And with this idea I am also thinking back to earlier than the late 80s when privateers such as Rob Walker could enter and win races, which would surely be impossible nowadays.