View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2023, 18:37 (Ref:4139938)   #125
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
imo its 100% bad for fans.

not hard to imagine a scenario where Ferrari, or Ham, or Max or one of the actual main features get knocked out of pre qualifying because of a change in the weather or some minor infraction to the pre qualifying rules or somepay driver spins out or because several of the new tracks cant even accommodate 20 cars on track at the same time during quali.

and while that may make for great television it would certainly leave a lot of people who paid a lot of money to be there to see their favorites in action and in person.
Not all the drivers would be competing in pre-qualifying, the point of having it is to prevent there being too many cars on track. In the late 80s and early 90s they had rules for who would have to compete in pre-qualifying, it was anyone who was a new team or hadn't scored a point the previous season. Something similar could be done so that only backmarkers were in pre-qualifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
honestly dont even want to get into the engine and part use rules for those that dont compete in every race...or those that just show up explicitly for one race with no concern about lifetime usage of that PU.
This is a good point because in terms of sustainability we don't want too many engines and other parts used unnecessarily, although if teams aren't competing in every race the likelihood is they won't have the budget to destroy too many engines and other parts. I'm sure this could be figured out.

I know this is entirely hypothetical and would probably never happen but I still believe that it could work.