View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2023, 23:57 (Ref:4142748)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like that.

I suppose if we go back we didn’t have white lines. We were trying to get from one place to another quicker than the rest. There were no limits, but there was the scenery and topography of the ground. Rallying still maintains this mostly.

Then we made circuits and that was still true to a certain extent. Then we had white line really just as a guide and to allow the edge to be seen better.

And kerbs appeared to protect the edges where people cut across or drifted wide.

But then it sensibly developed into a limit. Especially as we developed safer scenery.

So originally it was natural, now it is artificial. Other sports too developed an edge to the field of play for practical reasons. Motorsport too, but it is taking a long time to develop the rule for if you go out.

Sports have variations on this. Football, rugby and soccer all have subtle differences here. Can the player go out, but not the ball for instance. Tennis, say, is purely just the ball.

In Motorsport you can’t just stop play and restart like in football. Also you don’t have a relatively small area of play to judge when something is out. As mentioned above there aren’t generally enough judges of fact. Maybe we do need tech.

In athletics you would just be disqualified if you make a short cut, but the dynamics of competition is different. You aren’t on the limit of adhesion in athletics. You’d never run wide in the marathon.

So we need to have a pragmatic approach to penalties too.

Generally I don’t have a problem with what series do. The noise around it is annoying though. Often there are cries of inconsistency when there is none. Or it’s not actually important. Of course there are some stupid things going on, but the outrage to these are as high other situations that are fine!

I love the comment though and why not, let’s get some tech in there and make it clear. I’m for it, I like the challenge of sticking to it. If I’m allow to I will, if not I won’t.

Who’ll pay for it? Directly or indirectly it will be the competitors. So are we bothered enough? If we don’t want to help enforce it then we should shut up about it. I’m easy.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Feb 2023 at 00:20.