View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2023, 21:46 (Ref:4143044)   #36
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Presumably the penalties are incurred by the 'can't be arsed to move the steering wheel through these esses' incursion rather than the 'oh s**t I've braked too late and oversteered on to the grass' type of incident.

Will they be applied in BTCC races?

I think this is possibly the crux of the matter, and who is qualified to decide? Do we get penalised, for example, if we run wide because another driver has squeezed us wide on the exit with an opportunistic dive up the inside, and we're given the choice of run wide or have contact? Or, conversely, maybe he comes around the outside, cuts across the front you forcing you onto a tighter line and, as a result, you go over over the edge of the kerb on the apex?

Do we get penalised when we simply make a small mistake, perhaps outbraking ourselves and gaining no advantage (more likely losing time) from the excursion 'over the line'? I'm sure all of these scenarios have happened to us all at some point - certainly have to me.

I'm in no way advocating, or even defending, those who habitually go beyond track limits to gain an advantage. But some clarification of exactly how, and by whom, this will be enforced, would be useful. If it's going to be black & white, measured absolutely and with no mitigation considered then, to me, that's unacceptable. We're driving at speed, often on the limit of adhesion, and occasional indiscretions are going to occur. If they don't, then you're not trying hard enough!

As to the other thing - no, of course not, don't be silly. Are you serious?

Last edited by Paul D; 7 Feb 2023 at 21:52.