View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2023, 19:06 (Ref:4145297)   #48
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rewinding back to the Monte...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
...I thought it was a pretty uneventful rally...
I think a few folks on here have already expressed similar sentiments as the one above from Arnage. I meant to chime in at the time to add that I was actually bored watching the highlights on UK TV. I can't recall the last time that happened, I would probably have to go back to the days when Motors TV had coverage and it seemed like they only had one camera at the finish line.

The production of the highlights is obviously much improved but how can such a spectacular sport (let's put aside it's long term unsustainability due to low manufacturer count) be made to look so ordinary by the official highlights packages?

When I first discovered the phenomenon of 'pure sounds' WRC fan-recorded and edited footage years ago, I was blown away and continue to be blown away by just how dynamic the action is. When I first got into the WRC in the Group A era in the late 90s and early 2000s as a youngster, I used to watch 30 minute highlights on BBC 2 Top Gear in the UK and even the most predictable events were made to look good by virtue of how the cars were filmed and presented. They managed to cram a lot of spectacular action into just 30mins with no hysterical commentary, just measured, calm, and informative summaries.

I've noticed people have started commenting about how much more spectacular the fan footage on youtube is. Are the official highlights producers that hamstrung with what they have to work with or are they just completely lacking in imagination?

I appreciate the fan footage is complimentary and it's produced to different timescales but it's still so much more interesting to see even if it gets repetitive. I found this Monte footage and after the first minute I was just thrilled to bits like I was to be 20-odd years ago, it reminded me just how incredible the cars and drivers are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGMWONJbEY

It made me rethink my initial feeling that this year's event was dull! It wasn't at all dull if you were stage-side watching the cars come by. TV needs to do a much better job, maybe they are doing a good job but it's behind a paywall?