View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4145421)   #1552
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think the BTCC is getting bigger. It’s probably the second most popular motorsport in the UK after F1
Well, I think the BTCC is in quite a healthy condition in its own 'category' - the grids are full, the viewership is, I believe relatively high and stable and same could be said about race attendance (correct me if I'm wrong in any of the points, don't have knowledge about specific numbers) and there are many good teams and drivers there so yeah, in this sense BTCC is in a very very good place and I'm happy about that.
However, is it getting bigger? Not so sure about that, depending on what you mean by it but BTCC certainly lacks some kind of incentive that would make it really bigger - for various reasons big sponsors are not really flocking to the championship (NAPA being one of rare exceptions), manufacturers can't be bothered about participating (for reasons already explained), BTCC drivers are relatively anonymous in the wider motorsport world and most of them are semi-amateurs and even though there are probably quite a lot of people who know BTCC and follow it from outside the UK, it can't kind of break any new grounds and reach a lot new audiences. At least that's my impression.

Yes, I know, many of you will tell me that BTCC doesn't have to because after all it's a national series, financial outlook in the world is not really good and so on and so forth. I get that. It's just that in my opinion the potential in the BTCC is much bigger than that but for various reasons it's either impossible or unreasonable to go the extra mile.